Job Profile “Junior NFV and Cloud Standardization Researcher” (w/m/d)
DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH (DOCOMO Euro-Labs) was established in November 2000 in Munich, Germany. DOCOMO Euro-Labs’ mission is to contribute to the evolution of future mobile systems. Important research areas include 5G technologies, emerging network technologies and architecture. As a part of its research, DOCOMO Euro-Labs participates in standardization activities as well as technology investigation and technology scouting. To achieve our mission, DOCOMO Euro-Labs takes advantage of its location and collaborates with European operators, vendors, venture companies and universities and contributes to standardization activities (mainly 3GPP, ETSI and O-RAN Alliance) and Verticals associations (e.g., 5G-ACIA).
Since 2013, DOCOMO Euro-Labs is at the forefront in pre-standardization and standardization of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV). Now, we are looking for a highly motivated and skilled junior NFV and Cloud Standardization Researcher to further boost our activities and adoption of network virtualization, Cloud and softwarization within NTT DOCOMO and by the telecom industry at large. Together with the rest of the members at DOCOMO Euro-Labs and NTT DOCOMO, we will make a change to further enhance and facilitate the development and deployment of cost effective, highly reliable and better performing mobile networks.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Perform DOCOMO Euro-Labs standardization activities in the ETSI ISG NFV (Network Functions Virtualization) and O-RAN Alliance in cooperation with colleagues at Euro-Labs and NTT DOCOMO.
- Perform technical back-office work, contribute to standards and attend standardization meetings both F2F and conference calls.
- Architect and engineer solutions suitable for standardization or open-source, with a focus on NFV/Cloud.
- Mandate NTT DOCOMO requirements in technologies and solutions prone to standardization or open-source in support of the network operator’s procurement and deployment of network virtualization and Cloud technologies/cloudification of network functions.
- Monitor and influence standardization and open-source activities (such as strategy and planning) within Euro-Labs, NTT DOCOMO and beyond, e.g., standardization community.
- Collaborate with selected partners from industry such as telecom operators and vendors.
- Develop robust intellectual property and increase NTT DOCOMO’s patent portfolio of standard essential patents.
To be successful in the role you shall have:
- 2+ years of experience in network functions virtualization and Cloud (native) technologies, based on ETSI ISG NFV framework, preferably, or O-RAN Alliance, and/or from related open source projects.
- Knowledge about standardization organizations (e.g., ETSI, ITU-T, 3GPP, etc.) and their role in the telecom industry.
- Willingness of addressing any network related topics with potential for standardization.
- Technical knowledge on various protocols, information and modeling languages, such as Restconf, Web Services, Netconf, YANG, YAML, TOSCA, etc.
- Hands-on experience with one or various virtualization platforms and technologies, such as VMware, OpenStack, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, etc.
- Experience or know-how on relevant open source projects in the area of network virtualization, management and orchestration, such as OpenStack, CNCF’s Kubernetes and other projects, TIP’s OpenRAN, ETSI OSM, LFN’s ONAP, ONOS or OpenDayLight, etc.
It is also desirable if you have:
- Thorough knowledge of mobile networks (5G and previous generations), in particular of core network, and understanding of the requirements of a mobile network operator regarding the deployment of core network technologies.
- Experience in network-related standardization such as ETSI and 3GPP, and/or the creation of de-facto standards/solutions within open source communities, defending proposals and collaborating with other companies in order to drive successful standards or solutions.
- R&D experience in SDN/NFV and mobile network areas (e.g., 5GC, vEPC, vIMS, etc.) and the broader context of advanced networking technologies.
- Experience in industry research projects such as those developed within EU or US research and innovation programs.
- Knowledge of technologies related to Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML).
- Knowledge in architecture of cloud computing platforms and/or design of Cloud/data centers (for IT and/or Telco).
- Knowledge of DevOps, CI/CD, and configuration management platforms, e.g., Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.
- Ability to work across multi-functional and cultural boundaries to deliver results and changes.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work self-driven in a distributed organization on multiple tasks in parallel.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills. The person should be a good communicator and should have good skills to present also to non-expert people.
- Strong ability to analyze and find creative solutions for complex technical problems.
- Be capable of adapting to new work tasks or work in new technical areas as the telco industry evolves.
- Strong excellence awareness.
- Availability to travel globally.
- Academic degree, minimum on master level, in engineering (IT, Telecom).
- Fluent English is essential.
- Munich, Germany.
- 2-year contract.
Email your cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Application closing date: 30.09.2023